← all stories industrybusiness 1 sources · 6d ago

Illegal Webtoon Site Newtoki Reappears After Shutdown

The rapid reappearance of Newtoki illustrates a core limitation of South Korea's upcoming emergency site-blocking system: it can block access but cannot shut down sites or prevent operators from relaunching under new domains.

Reporting from 1 sources: Anime News Network.

Illegal Webtoon Site Newtoki Reappears After Shutdown

The illegal webtoon and web novel site Newtoki resurfaced in a similar form one day after announcing its shutdown on April 27, according to Korean outlet News1. New access links to a site branded as Newtoki have been circulating through Telegram channels since April 28. The site mirrors the original in name, logo, and user interface. The Telegram channel sharing the links attracted more than 15,000 subscribers within a week. The operator behind the new site claimed that previously held data is too large to upload quickly, but promised to restore content similar to what was available on Newtoki, ManaToki, and BookToki. When Newtoki announced its shutdown, its operator warned that any similarly named platforms would be impersonators. The reappearance comes just ahead of South Korea's new emergency blocking system, set to take effect on May 11. The policy allows authorities to immediately restrict access to illegal sites upon detection, but is limited to blocking access rather than shutting down sites entirely. Full closure requires identifying and prosecuting operators through legal proceedings, a process that remains challenging when servers and operators are based overseas. The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism said the new blocking system is designed to significantly improve response speed as the most effective administrative measure currently available.

The operator who relaunched Newtoki claimed that the site's previously held data is "too large" to upload quickly, but promised to restore content similar to what was available on Newtoki, ManaToki, and BookToki. The Telegram channel sharing the new access links began distributing updated addresses on April 28, one day after the original Newtoki declared its closure. Within a week, the channel had attracted more than 15,000 subscribers.

When Newtoki announced its shutdown on April 27, its operator emphasized in the shutdown statement there were no plans to resume service, warning users that any similarly named platforms in the future would be impersonators unrelated to the original site. Officials note that even if a site is blocked, operators can relaunch under a new domain if they retain stored content, a scenario that appears to be unfolding in this case.

The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism said the new blocking system is designed to "significantly improve response speed" as the most effective administrative measure currently available. Still, authorities acknowledged that fully dismantling illegal platforms will require international cooperation and successful law enforcement action against operators. Newtoki had long been considered the largest illegal webtoon site in Korea. The operator, originally a Korean national, reportedly acquired Japanese citizenship in 2022, prompting ongoing calls from industry groups for extradition.

Synthesized by Yomimono from the 1 cited source below, including Japanese-language reporting where cited, then editorially reviewed before publishing.

Sources